Jalapeno Popper Chicken Dip is a unique appetizer for get togethers! A creamy dip packed with jalapenos, chicken, green onions and garlic.
Jalapeño Popper Chicken Dip Recipe
Dips are a great appetizer for parties, game nights and the holidays. I love a unique flavor variation to switch up my entertaining. This jalapeno popper chicken dip is a crowd pleaser and fan favorite! Not to mention it is so much easier than making jalapeno poppers. Instead of stuffing peppers with cheese and wrapping in bacon, just mix all the components together in a bowl and turn it into a dip.
We are not short on jalapeno recipes here! Jalapenos are so flavorful and there are so many fun recipes to make such as Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups, Jalapeno Popper Egg Rolls, Jalapeno Cheddar Corn Bread, Armadillo Eggs, and Jalapeno Ranch Sliders!
What is Jalapeño Popper Chicken Dip?
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Dip is a twist on the classic jalapeno popper appetizer. Jalapeno poppers have many different serving methods. They all start with a jalapeno that is stuffed with a seasoned cheese mixture. They are then most commonly wrapped in either bacon or breadcrumbs.
This recipe turns the classic finger food into a dip! Add in some shredded chicken for a heartier and flavor packed appetizer. You are sure to love this dip.
What to Serve with Jalapeño Popper Chicken Dip
This dip is perfect for an appetizer spread for a game day or holiday get together. I like to serve a dip with a few other fingers foods such as:
What is in Jalapeño Popper Chicken Dip?
- Cream Cheese – the perfect cheese for a dip base. Be sure to allow the cheese to soften at room temperature so it is easier for you to stir the dip together.
- Cheddar Cheese – I love the combination of cheddar, bacon and jalapeno! Cheddar cheese is a perfect stretchy cheese for dips. You can really use any cheese you have on hand (for example, mozzarella, Monterrey Jack, Havarti, etc.).
- Sour Cream – or Greek yogurt or Icelandic Skyr. I like the flavor that sour cream adds to a dip. It adds a bit of tang. However, for a healthier recipe you can use Greek yogurt or Icelandic Skyr. You will still get a nice tangy flavor and you won’t notice the yogurt flavor at all!
- Green Onion – this adds a nice freshness and pop of green color to the dip. I always love green onion paired with bacon and cheese.
- Jalapeno – a milder pepper and the star of the show in any jalapeno popper inspired recipe! If you want to ensure your dip is mild, be sure to remove all of the seeds from the peppers and remove the ribs. These are the white strips inside the pepper that the seeds grow on.
- Cooked Bacon – in a pinch you can even use store bought precooked crumbled bacon. For me, a jalapeno popper is not a jalapeno popper without bacon!
- Garlic – there is something so special about garlic in a creamy cheese based dip. The garlic infuses throughout the dip and has the most amazing flavor.
- Shredded Cooked Chicken – this recipe is perfect for using up that last bit of leftover chicken (either homemade or rotisserie chicken). The fun thing about this recipe is that if you are already planning on serving chicken for dinner and this dip as an appetizer you can use some of the chicken and shred it into the dip, or use store bought rotisserie chicken.
How to Make Jalapeño Popper Chicken Dip
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together cream cheese, garlic powder, sour cream, bacon, green onions, cheddar cheese, and chopped jalapeños. Note: reserve 2 tbsp of cheddar cheese and 2 tbsp of cooked bacon for topping.
3 Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and add the dip into the dish. Evenly spread the dip.
4 Top with the reserved 2 tbsp each of cheddar cheese and cooked bacon.
5 Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is warm and bubbly. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Optional: garnish with chopped green onions. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Jalapeño Popper Chicken Dip
- Cream Cheese – be sure to use room temperature cream cheese. When mixing the dip together if you use cream cheese right out of the fridge it will be very hard to stir. Take the cheese out of the fridge and leave it on the kitchen counter while you prepare all of the other ingredients. By the time you have prepped everything else the cheese will be soft enough to mix. Or you can microwave the unwrapped cream cheese on a plate for 15 seconds to soften it.
- Chicken – this recipe is perfect for a quick weeknight appetizer. If you have any kind of leftover chicken in the fridge, you can shred it up and use it in this dip! You can even keep a small batch of shredded chicken in the freezer that is leftover from dinner and use it up for this recipe.
- Cheese – I personally love the combination of cheddar cheese with all the other flavors in this dip. However, you can use any cheese you have on hand. For example, mozzarella, marble, Monterrey jack, Havarti, etc.. For an extra spicy dip you can even use a spicy cheese such as Jalapeno Monterrey Jack or spicy Havarti!
FAQs Jalapeño Popper Chicken Dip
Cover the cooled dip with foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 3 days (check the best before date on your cheese and adjust accordingly).
To reheat the dip, cover with foil and bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes at 350°F or until warmed through.
Yes! This dip is perfect for make ahead. Follow the recipe as per usual but do not bake the dip. Cover with foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge. Just before serving preheat oven to 350°F. Bake the dip for 12-15 minutes or until warmed through and the cheesy is bubbly.
For a healthier jalapeno popper chicken dip swap the sour cream for Greek yogurt or Icelandic Skyr, swap the cream cheese for low fat cream cheese, and use a low fat cheddar cheese.
For a vegetarian dip recipe swap the bacon for vegan bacon.
This dip is naturally gluten free. Serve with corn chips, gluten free pita bread or crackers to dip.
Looking for More Easy Dip Recipes?
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Dip
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened at room temperature, 1 brick
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced, or 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup sour cream, or Greek yogurt, or Icelandic Skyr
- 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (reserve 2 tbsp)
- 2 cups cooked bacon, crumbled (reserve 2 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp green onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cooked shredded chicken, or rotisserie chicken
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, stir together cream cheese, garlic powder, sour cream, bacon, green onions, cheddar cheese, and chopped jalapeños. Note: reserve 2 tbsp of cheddar cheese and 2 tbsp of cooked bacon for topping.
- Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and add the dip into the dish. Evenly spread the dip.
- Top with the reserved 2 tbsp each of cheddar cheese and cooked bacon.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is warm and bubbly. Allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Optional: garnish with chopped green onions. Serve and enjoy!