Big Mac Sliders are a fun and healthier twist on the classic burger! Made at home in only 30 minutes they are perfect for dinner or entertaining to feed a crowd.
Big Mac Sliders Recipe
I think it’s safe to say everyone has either had or heard of a Big Mac! The most famous burger in the world, that you either have a love or hate relationship with. Trust me when I say that if you make these sliders at home I can guarantee it will be a love relationship.
A shortcut to making these Big Mac sliders at home is that one large hamburger patty slab is made, rather than having to shape individual slider patties. This quick shortcut involves just seasoning the ground beef and pressing it into a baking dish to cook saving you time in the kitchen!
Next, you just assemble your sliders with all the classic Big Mac toppings and you are ready to have a fun dinner the whole family will love! If you Love Big Mac’s as much as I do then you also have to try out our Big Mac Egg Rolls recipe, which is one of our most popular and requested recipes ever!
What are Big Mac Sliders?
Big Mac Sliders turn the most famous burger in the world into a mini slider version! They are so easy to make in just 30 minutes and they are a crowd pleaser. Perfect for a weeknight dinner, movie night, kids birthday parties, holiday gathering or game night.
A hamburger patty slab is seasoned and cooked and then sandwiched into slider buns. All the classic Big Mac toppings are in these sliders from shredded lettuce to cheese, pickles and onions, all the way to the top secret Big Mac Sauce! Don’t worry I have the best copycat Big Mac Sauce recipe for you.
Big Bac Sauce, or Special Sauce, is a secret blend of mayonnaise, ketchup, mustard, relish and a splash of apple cider vinegar. You won’t believe how simple it is to make with just 5 ingredients and it tastes just like the real thing.
What to Serve with Big Mac Sliders
These sliders pair perfectly with French fires but if you are looking for a more unique and healthier side dish for your burger night try one of my most popular salads:
- Avocado Corn Tomato Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Dill Pickle Chopped Salad (Costco Copycat)
- BLT Pasta Salad
- Greek Feta Potato Salad
What is in Big Mac Sliders?
Hamburger Patty Ingredients
- Ground Beef, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Salt and Pepper – one of the best parts about this quick recipe is that you don’t have to worry about shaping 12 slider patties. Instead just season ground beef with the seasonings and mix it up. Flatten it in a baking dish or foil lined sheet pan and bake!
- Slider Buns – I love using Kings Hawaiian Sweet Rolls for sliders as they have a hint of sweetness that compliments the savory filling. You can use homemade slider buns, dinner rolls or regular store bought slider buns.
- Sesame Seeds – to create that classic Big Mac bun, the slider buns are topped with sesame seeds.
- Butter – butter is brushed on the tops of the buns to toast them and to get the sesame seeds to stick.
- Lettuce – I think everyone knows that if you order a Big Mac you are getting a massive amount of lettuce on your burger… and on the side in the box (LOL!). I like using iceberg lettuce to replicate the classic burger but you could also use romaine or green leaf lettuce.
- Onion – after special sauce, the onions are my favorite part of a Big Mac! I absolutely love raw onion and those tiny raw white onions on a Big Mac are simply the best. You can use regular yellow cooking onions or red onions instead.
- Pickle – thinly sliced pickles are a must on a Big Mac! Growing up we always ordered extra pickles.
- Cheese – it’s up to you what cheese you prefer to use. To replicate the classic burger my recipe calls for American cheese, you can of course use any cheese you prefer.
Big Mac Special Sauce Ingredients
- Mayonnaise – the base of special sauce. For a healthier option swap the mayo for Greek yogurt or Icelandic skyr.
- Ketchup – the red color of the sauce comes from ketchup which also adds a hint of sweetness and tang.
- Mustard – a little bit of mustard goes a long way in creating that classic special sauce flavor!
- Relish – those little green specks in special sauce are from relish!
- Apple Cider Vinegar – that signature sweet tang of Big Mac sauce comes from a splash of vinegar.
How to Make Big Mac Sliders
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
1 Make the special sauce by mixing all of the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside in the fridge to chill while you make the sliders.
Hamburger Patty Slab
1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
2 In a large bowl add the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix until evenly combined.
3 Line a half sheet pan with foil or use a 9×13 glass baking dish. Press the ground beef into a flat even layer on the sheet pan or baking dish.
4 Bake the hamburger patty slab in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and drain the grease.
1 While the hamburger patty slab is cooking, brush the tops of the slider buns with the melted butter. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over top of the buns. Bake in the oven for 3 minutes to lightly toast the buns.
2 Remove the buns from the oven and carefully slice the buns through the center. Set the top buns to the side.
3 Spread half of the special sauce on the bottoms of the buns.
4 Top with the shredded lettuce.
5 Use two spatulas to carefully transfer the cooked hamburger patty slab on top of the lettuce.
6 Top with the sliced cheese.
7 Top with diced onions.
8 Top with pickles.
9 Drizzle the remaining sauce on top.
10 Add the top buns. Slice the sliders and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Big Mac Sliders
- Hamburger Patty – for this recipe I recommend using medium or lean ground beef. If using extra lean ground beef the patty will dry out during cooking. However, for a healthier recipe you can use extra lean ground beef, ground turkey or ground chicken.
- Special Sauce – this is really the secret ingredient in a Big Mac. To get that classic flavor you have to have special sauce. I highly recommend making the sauce with mayonnaise. For a healthier option you can use Greek yogurt or Icelandic skyr but the sauce will not taste exactly like Big Mac sauce. As different brands of mayo, mustard, ketchup and relish have slightly different flavors, follow the recipe as listed and taste the special sauce. Adjust to taste by adding more of each ingredient until it is to your personal liking.
- Slider Buns – some may say this recipe is not truly a Big Mac because there isn’t an extra layer of bread between two hamburger patties, but all the flavors are there. If you really prefer to have the extra layers, you can slice the slider buns into 3 sections to create that extra layer of bread in the center and make 2 hamburger patties instead of just 1, but I really don’t think it is necessary. All of the flavors are here and without adding all those extra layers these single layer sliders are much easier to eat and assemble.
FAQs Big Mac Sliders
Unfortunately, once you have assembled the Big Mac sliders with all of the toppings they don’t reheat or store well, unless you don’t mind warm lettuce. If you think you will have leftovers, I recommend slicing the hamburger patty slab into 12 pieces after it is cooked and assemble as many sliders as you would like to serve. To reheat, microwave the left over slider patties and assemble as many sliders are you would like.
To prepare Big Mac sliders in advance prep the special sauce up to 3 days in advance and store in the fridge. Cook the hamburger patty slab up to 3 days in advance. On the day of serving reheat the hamburger patty slab in the oven for about 5 minutes on 350°F, or until warmed through. Then assemble the sliders are per usual.
These homemade Big Mac sliders are a healthier alternative to the classic takeout burger. They are made with all ground beef. You can use Greek yogurt or Icelandic Skry instead of mayonnaise to make the special sauce and you can even use whole wheat dinner rolls for the slider buns.
If you crave a Big Mac but are on a gluten free diet, you can enjoy the classic flavor of a Big Mac at home with this recipe and use gluten free dinner rolls or slider buns.
Looking for More Easy Slider Recipes?
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Big Mac Sliders
Hamburger Patty Slab
- 1.5 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 12 Hawaiian slider rolls, or slider buns, or dinner rolls
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 pickles, sliced
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 9 slices American cheese
Big Mac Special Sauce
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp relish
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Make the special sauce by mixing all of the sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside in the fridge to chill while you make the sliders.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl add the ground beef, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Mix until evenly combined.
- Line a half sheet pan with foil or use a 9×13 glass baking dish. Press the ground beef into a flat even layer on the sheet pan or baking dish.
- Bake the hamburger patty slab in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from the oven and drain the grease.
- While the hamburger patty slab is cooking, brush the tops of the slider buns with the melted butter. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over top of the buns. Bake in the oven for 3 minutes to lightly toast the buns.
- Remove the buns from the oven and carefully slice the buns through the centre. Set the top buns to the side.
- Spread half of the special sauce on the bottoms of the buns.
- Top with the shredded lettuce.
- Use two spatulas to carefully transfer the cooked hamburger patty slab on top of the lettuce.
- Top with the sliced cheese.
- Top with diced onions.
- Top with pickles.
- Drizzle the remaining sauce on top.
- Add the top buns. Slice the sliders and enjoy!