Filet-O-Fish Sliders are a twist on the classic fish sandwich. Slider buns filled with creamy tartar sauce, cheese and crispy fish filets!
Filet-O-Fish Sliders Recipe
These sliders are a fun way to change up your Fish Friday dinner! Instead of regular fish and chips or fish on a bun, try these cute and delicious filet-o-fish sliders.
Inspired by the famous filet-o-fish sandwich from you know where (the golden arches), these are better than takeout and a dinner the whole family will love! This is a great recipe to get the kids involved with making as it is low prep and so easy to make.
What are Filet-O-Fish Sliders?
Filet-O-Fish sliders are a slider version of the world famous Filet-O-Fish sandwich from McDonalds. They are made with slider buns, fish burgers, cheese and tartar sauce. This recipe comes together in 20 minutes and is a budget friendly meal rather than takeout!
The homemade tartar sauce in this recipe is only 4 ingredients and comes together in 1 bowl. Just add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir them together. Then bake the fish, warm the buns and assemble the sliders. This is a family friendly recipe you are sure to love!
What to Serve with Filet-O-Fish Sliders
Sliders are a great appetizer, snack, or a main course. I love to serve sliders with a side salad or soup.
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Dill Pickle Chopped Salad
- Avocado Corn Tomato Salad
- Chickpea Tuna Salad
What is in Filet-O-Fish Sliders?
- Slider Buns – any variety of slider buns can be used for this recipe. The famous filet-o-fish from the golden arches, is served on a bun that has been steamed. I love to use Kings Hawaiian rolls because once the buns are warmed in the oven they have the same soft, steamed texture and a subtle sweetness. The sweetness of the buns pairs perfectly with the tangy tartar sauce!
- Fish Burgers – you can use homemade or store bought fish burgers. I like using Highliner Brand Fish Burgers. They are delicious and so quick because you just bake them in the oven while you prepare the tartar sauce and you can have this recipe on the table in a flash!
- Cheese – to replicate the famous filet-o-fish sandwich, I use American cheese in this recipe. You can use any variety of slice cheese you prefer but I do recommend using cheddar cheese for the classic flavor.
- Tartar Sauce
- Mayonnaise – the base of tartar sauce is mayonnaise. You can use any variety you prefer (olive oil based, avocado oil, vegan mayonnaise, etc.). For a healthier option you can also use plain Greek yogurt or Icelandic Skyr.
- Relish – I like using a sweet relish for my tartar sauce for the best flavor. However, you can finely dice pickles and use those instead. If you have regular relish you can use that too but reduce the dried dill by half.
- Dill – dried dill adds a tang to the sauce. Dill and seafood pair together perfectly.
- Lemon Juice – fresh lemon juice adds a pop of freshness to the sauce.
How to Make Filet-O-Fish Sliders
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or foil.
2 Bake the breaded fish burgers or fish filets on one of the sheet pans in the oven according to package directions.
3 While the fish is baking, prepare the tartar sauce. In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, relish, lemon juice and dill. Mix until evenly combined. Set aside in the fridge to chill.
4 Place the slider buns on the second sheet pan. Brush the tops of the buns with the melted butter. Place in the oven for about 2-3 minutes or until warmed through.
5 Remove the buns from the oven and carefully slice through the center. Set the tops of the sliders to the side.
6 To assemble the sliders, add the sliced cheese on the bottom buns.
7 Add the cooked fish on top of the cheese.
8 Evenly spread the tartar sauce on the cooked fish.
9 Put the top buns back on the sliders.
Slice the sliders. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Filet-O-Fish Sliders
- Fish – I like using store bought fish burgers for these sliders. They are square and 9 fit perfectly on the slider buns. If you prefer to make your own fried fish you can do that too. I recommend cutting the fish into square pieces that will fit on each slider bun.
- Buns – you can use any variety of store bought or homemade slider buns or dinner rolls. I like the subtle sweetness that Kings Hawaiian Rolls add to the recipe but you can also just use regular slider buns.
- Tartar Sauce – you can use store bought tartar sauce for this recipe but I do recommend making your own. It is really quick to make with only 4 ingredients. The best part is, the sauce lasts in the fridge and tastes even better the next day. For a lower prep recipe, you can prep the tartar sauce up to 3 days in advance and store it in the fridge until ready to use.
FAQs Filet-O-Fish Sliders
To reheat, cover the sliders with foil and place in the oven at 350°F for about 5-8 minutes, or until warmed through. If you anticipate you will have leftovers, I recommend waiting to add the tartar sauce until after reheating.
Store the sliders in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days (adjust accordingly based on the best before date of each ingredient used).
You can assemble the sliders ahead of time without the tartar sauce and reheat them in the oven. Once reheated, add the tartar sauce. However, I do recommend making the sliders fresh as when you reheat them the fish will not be crispy. To save time on the day of serving you can prep the tartar sauce up to 3 days in advance and then prepare the sliders the same day.
To make a healthier filet-o-fish slider recipe you can swap the mayonnaise for plain Greek yogurt or Icelandic skyr. Making the fish filets homemade is another way to control what goes in them and keep them healthier. You can even make homemade fish without a breading for a healthier option, or air fry homemade breaded fish!
For a vegetarian or vegan slider, use a vegan fish burger substitute.
For a gluten free recipe use gluten free slider buns and a gluten free breaded fish. A good option would be homemade cornflake crusted fish.
Looking for More Slider Recipes
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Filet-O-Fish Sliders (Fish Burger Sliders)
- 9-12 pieces breaded fish burgers, or fish filets, store bought or homemade, quantity will vary depending on size of fish used
- 12 slider buns, or dinner rolls
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 12 slices American cheese, or slices cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sweet relish, or finely minced pickles (dill or sweet)
- 1/2 tbsp dried dill, if using regular relish or diced dill pickles uses only 1/4 tbsp of dried dill
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 sheet pans with parchment paper or foil.
- Bake the breaded fish burgers or fish filets on one of the sheet pans in the oven according to package directions.
- While the fish is baking, prepare the tartar sauce. In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, relish, lemon juice and dill. Mix until evenly combined. Set aside in the fridge to chill.
- Place the slider buns on the second sheet pan. Brush the tops of the buns with the melted butter. Place in the oven for about 2-3 minutes or until warmed through.
- Remove the buns from the oven and carefully slice through the center. Set the tops of the sliders to the side.
- To assemble the sliders, add the sliced cheese on the bottom buns.
- Add the cooked fish on top of the cheese.
- Evenly spread the tartar sauce on the cooked fish.
- Put the top buns back on the sliders.
- Slice the sliders. Serve immediately and enjoy!