Wonton Soup is one of the most well known soups and one of my personal favorites! So quick and easy to make at home. Perfect for a quick lunch or side dish for your next dinner!
Wonton Soup Recipe
Wonton soup is a standard of Chinese cuisine made with a chicken broth seasoned garlic and ginger and filled wontons. Wontons are an Asian equivalent of ravioli or tortellini when they are folded around a spiced meat filling.
This wonton soup recipe is so quick and easy to make. It has a flavorful broth with bok choy and is semi-homemade using frozen store bought wontons. Once the vegetables are prepped, the soup cooks in 10 minutes.
First, you cook your wontons and then boil the ginger and garlic in the chicken broth for 10 minutes, which infuses incredible flavor into the broth. Next, you add in the bok choy, cook a few minutes until tender, and serve! That’s it so quick and easy!
More Asian Inspired Recipes you Will Love!
- Crab Rangoons
- Bang Bang Shrimp Egg Rolls
- Spicy Crispy Chicken
- Sweet and Sour Pork
- Sticky Short Ribs
- Teriyaki Salmon
More Soup Recipes you Will Love!
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
- Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- Zuppa Toscana
- Hot and Sour Soup
- Turkey Meatball Orzo Soup
What is in Wonton Soup
What is in Wonton Soup
- The trick to a flavorful broth is to simmer crushed garlic, slices of ginger and green onion stems in chicken broth for 10 minutes. All of the aromatic flavors of the herbs infuse into the broth. The bok choy makes the soup more hearty. You can use fresh homemade wontons (stay tuned for my recipe coming soon) or frozen store bought.
- Chicken Broth – you can use store bought or homemade chicken broth. For a quick weeknight recipe I love using store bought. For added nutrients you can even use a chicken bone broth (homemade or store bought)
- Soy Sauce – adds a rich umami flavor to the broth and also deepens the color of the broth.
- Green Onion Stem – to season the broth the white parts (stems) of the green onion are simmered in the broth.
- Garlic – one of my favorite aromatics. Whole garlic cloves are smashed and simmered in the to extract all of it’s amazing flavor.
- Ginger – a few slices of ginger add a beautiful aromatic flavor to the soup. There are also many health benefits as ginger such as being antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
- Wontons – using store bought wontons is my favorite way to make this quick weeknight recipe. You can use any variety – vegetable, chicken, pork, etc. Follow the package directions and boil them stove top before adding them into the soup. You can also use homemade, just boil then in a separate pot of water first before adding them into the soup.
- Boy Choy – this is optional but to make the soup a bit heartier and add a vegetable to the dish I like using bok choy.
- Or broccoli, matchstick carrots, kale, cabbage, spinach, collard greens, cauliflower, Chinese broccoli, or any of your favorite vegetables.
- Green Onion – save the green parts of the green onion and thinly slice them to serve as a garnish on the soup. They add a fresh pop of onion flavour!
How to Make Wonton Soup
Full Printable Recipe Below
1 Cook wontons according to package instructions.
2 In a large sauce pot combine all of the broth ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. The broth will darken in color as it cooks.
3 Remove the green onion stems, crushed garlic cloves and slices of ginger from the broth.
4 Add the bok choy to the pot and cook 1-2 minutes until tender
5 To serve, add a few wontons and pieces of bok choy to a bowl. Ladle broth over and top with chopped green onion.
Add In’s for Wonton Soup
I love wonton soup just as it is with wontons and bok choy, however you can add any combination of meats or vegetables to the soup!
- Meat (Pre-Cooked)
What to Serve with Wonton Soup
Here’s a great three course meal plan for you to try out:
- Starter – Wonton Soup
- Main Course Options
- Dessert – Strawberry Shortbread Bars
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Wonton Soup – Quick and Easy
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3-4 1” slices ginger, fresh
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine, Chinese cooking wine
- 2 green onion stems, white part only
- 1 pack wontons, store bought
- green onion, finely sliced, green and white part
- 8-10 bok choy, sliced into pieces and washed
- Cook wontons according to package instructions.
- In a large sauce pot combine all of the broth ingredients and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. The broth will darken in color as it cooks.
- Remove the green onion stems, crushed garlic cloves and slices of ginger from the broth.
- Add the bok choy to the pot and cook 1-2 minutes until tender
- To serve, add a few wontons and pieces of bok choy to a bowl. Ladle broth over and top with chopped green onion. Enjoy!