Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups are a crispy and creamy finger food perfect for game day! The filling is loaded with cheese, bacon, jalapenos and garlic. Baked in crispy wonton cups for a grab and go snack.
Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups Recipe
These crispy jalapeno popper wonton cups are delicious little bites loaded with bacon, jalapeños, a creamy, cheesy, spicy filling. They are an easy appetizer and make the perfect game day bite! They are one of my all time favorite appetizers.
If you’re a fan of jalapeño poppers, I know you are going to LOVE this delicious wonton twist! These individual bites are made with wonton wrappers baked until golden crispy and filled with a creamy cheese mixture. You also have to try my Jalapeno Popper Chicken Dip and Jalapeno Popper Egg Rolls!
The best part about this recipe is that you can pre-bake the wonton cups until they are slightly golden, so that when you’re ready to serve, you can just fill them and bake until golden brown and crispy.
The Best Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups Recipe
I absolutely LOVE jalapeno poppers and they are one of the most popular appetizers. However, often when making them you have the challenge of the cheese filling oozing out while baking. After all that time prepping and carefully stuffing the jalapenos and wrapping in bacon to only have the cheese ooze out is so disappointing. Not to mention it’s a struggle to get that bacon to wrap around perfectly and stay in place!
These wonton cups are a great solution! No oozing cheese or bacon falling off jalapeno poppers. Instead, simply prepare your dip mix, pre-bake the wonton cups in a mini muffin tin and then add your dip and bake!
The end result are perfectly crispy wonton cups (not to mention SUPER cute) filled with a creamy jalapeno popper dip with kick of spice from the jalapenos and salty bits of bacon! These are a must try at your next get together or game day.
What is in Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups?
- Wonton Wraps – found in the refrigerator section of grocery stores, beside the chilled salad dressing and tofu. These versatile wonton wraps are not only for making wontons. Shaped into a mini muffin tin they become the cutest little wonton cups perfect for being filled with dip!
- Jalapenos – you can’t have jalapeno poppers without jalapenos. Green or red are both delicious in this recipe. To keep the spice level to a minimum remove the seeds and ribs (little white lines inside the pepper that the seeds grow on).
- Cheddar Cheese – I personally love the combination of bacon, jalapeno and cheddar cheese but you can really use any cheese you have on hand (ex. mozzarella, marble, or add an extra jalapeno flavor with a spicy Monterrey Jack or Jalapeno Havarti!)
- Cream Cheese – one of the secrets to an extra creamy and cheesy dip is using cream cheese as the base for the dip. When combined with sour cream, mayo or greek yogurt you are left with the ultimate creamy dip!
- Sour Cream – or Greek yogurt works well in this recipe. I like using Greek yogurt as a healthier alternative to sour cream.
- Cooked Bacon – cooked crumbled bacon adds a smoky and salty flavor that mimics bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers.
- Green Onion – an extra pop of color and flavor from fresh green onions
- Garlic – everything and I mean everything… ok maybe not dessert… is better with garlic!
How to Make Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
Prepare the Filling and Pre-Bake
1 Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 24 count mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
2 Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup. Bake 5-7 minutes or until just lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
3 In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the garlic , cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, green onions, cheddar cheese, and chopped jalapeños.
Fill the Wonton Cups
1 Evenly divide the filling into the wonton cups. Gently press down into the cups. Sprinkle with reserved cooked bacon and cheese.
2 Return to the oven and bake for an additional 4-5 minutes, until wontons are golden brown and cheese is melted.
3 Remove the wonton cups from the muffin tin and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before serving, the filling will be very hot. Enjoy!
Tips for the Best Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups
- Cream Cheese – ensure your cream cheese is at room temperature to make it easier to combine the filling. Leave your cream cheese on the counter for about 15 minutes while you prep the remaining ingredients. If you forget to take it out of the fridge in advance, unwrap the cream cheese and microwave on plate for 15 seconds.
- Jalapenos – if you are like me and love the flavor of jalapenos but worry about the high spice level for my guests and kids. Some tips to keep the spice level to a minimum – remove all of the seeds from the jalapeno, cut the stem very close to the pepper and remove the ribs inside the pepper (these are the thin white lines that the seeds grow on). The seeds and ribs are the spiciest part of the jalapeno.
- Pre-Bake Wonton Cups – to avoid soggy bottoms on the wonton cups, pre-bake the wonton cups until they just start to brown. Then add the dip and bake.
Make Ahead Steps
To cut down on prep time the day of serving, prepare some of the steps of the recipe ahead of time:
- Mix the filling and refrigerate separately until ready to use.
- Pre-bake the wonton shells and store them in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Once ready to serve, spoon the filling into the pre-baked cups, top with additional cheese and cooked bacon and bake according to recipe instructions!
Reheating Leftover Wonton Cups
To reheat leftover jalapeno popper wonton cups, place them on a baking sheet and heat them in the oven at 350°F for 8 – 10 minutes or until heated through, or Air Fry at 350°F for 5 – 8 minutes . Watch them closely to avoid the tips of wonton cups from burning.
Looking for More Easy Appetizers?
These are some of my favorite and most popular recipes!
- Cranberry Brie Bites – the perfect cute and fancy appetizer to serve during the holidays. Light puff pastry baked until golden brown stuffed with brie, cranberry sauce and walnuts!
- Reuben Egg Rolls – quite possibly my favorite unique appetizer. So simple and delicious the filling is just 3 ingredients. Serve with Thousand Island dressing to dip!
- Shrimp Mozambique – a famous Portuguese peel and eat shrimp dish. Loaded with garlic, pimenta, white wine and fresh parsley both the shrimp and sauce are to die for!
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Jalapeno Popper Wonton Cups
- 24 wonton wrappers, found in the refrigerator section of grocery stores
- 2 cloves garlic , finely minced or shredded
- 8 ounce cream cheese, softened, 1 brick
- 1/2 cup sour cream, or Greek yogurt
- 2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced (for more spice leave some seeds)
- 2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (reserve 4 tbsp)
- 1 1/2 cup cooked bacon, crumbled (reserve 4 tbsp)
- 3 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 24 count mini muffin tin with cooking spray.
- Place one wonton wrapper in each muffin cup. Bake 5-7 minutes or until just lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together the garlic, cream cheese, sour cream, bacon, green onions, cheddar cheese, and chopped jalapeños.
- Evenly divide the filling into the wonton cups. Gently press down into the cups. Sprinkle with reserved cooked bacon and cheese.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 4-5 minutes, until wontons are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Remove the wonton cups from the muffin tin and allow to cool for 2-3 minutes before serving, the filling will be very hot. Enjoy!
- AIR FRYER COOKING METHODGrease a 12 count mini muffin tin. Preheat Air Fryer to 350°F.Follow recipe as per above and pre-bake the wonton cups for 4-5 minutes until just browned.Add the dip, top with cheese and bacon. Air Fry for another 3-4 minutes or until the cheese melts and the wontons are golden brown.Repeat one more time to make 24 wonton cups total.