Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf is a unique twist on the classic meatloaf. Healthy ground turkey is paired with feta cheese, spinach, sundried tomatoes and classic Mediterranean spices.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf Recipe
Growing up I always loved meatloaf. My Mom always made a variety of different recipes to keep meatloaf unique and fun. This Mediterranean turkey meatloaf is one of my favorite meatloaf variations.
We love Mediterranean and Greek recipes in our house and this turkey meatloaf is packed with classic Mediterranean flavors. Serve with my homemade tzatziki sauce and yellow rice for a well rounded dinner!
What is Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf?
Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf is a twist on the classic meatloaf. The base of the meatloaf is ground turkey which is a leaner and healthier alternative to ground beef. The turkey stays moist while cooking and is packed with flavour.
Classic Mediterranean flavors from oregano, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, spinach and garlic are packed into this meatloaf. This recipe is high protein, lean and perfect for meal prep. The whole family will love this unique dinner.
What to Serve with Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf
What is in Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf?
- Ground Turkey – the base of the meatloaf is ground turkey. The turkey pairs great with the Mediterranean flavors, or you can use ground chicken. This is a healthier alternative to commonly used ground beef. You can use ground beef if you prefer but I recommend using extra lean or extra extra lean ground beef so there is minimal fat and grease during the cooking process.
- Feta – this crumbly cheese is a perfect additional to meatloaf as it does not fully melt when cooked.
- Spinach – adds a nice pop of green color throughout the meatloaf. The spinach wilts down while cooking so it is a great way to sneak in this nutrient packed vegetable to your meal.
- Sundried Tomatoes – these flavor packed tomatoes are commonly sold jarred in flavored oil. Before adding them to the meatloaf squeeze out the excess oil.
- Panko Breadcrumbs and Milk – ground turkey is very lean and if over cooked can dry out but the combination of panko and milk keeps the meatloaf moist.
- Oregano – a classic Mediterranean spice.
- Garlic – everything is better with garlic!
- Red Pepper Flakes – optional, adds a nice pepper flavor and a bit of spice.
- Eggs – acts as a binder for the meatloaf.
- Salt, Pepper
How to Make Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
1 Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2 Spray a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with cooking spray.
3 To a large bowl add all of the meatloaf ingredients (ground turkey, panko breadcrumbs, sundried tomatoes, garlic, eggs, milk, feta, spinach, oregano, salt and pepper).
4 Gently mix until just combined, be careful not to overwork the meat.
5 Carefully transfer the meat mixture into the prepared pan. Gently press the mixture down into the pan to release air. Cover with foil and bake for 40 mins.
6 Uncover and continue cooking until the internal temperature registers 165°F on a meat thermometer, about 5 more minutes.
7 Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
8 Transfer to a cutting board and slice into pieces. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf
- Cooking – you can either bake the meatloaf in a loaf pan, or shape the meatloaf into a loaf and bake it on a sheet pan. I often prefer to use the loaf pan because it is quicker to just place the meat into the pan. If you prefer to bake without a loaf pan, just form the meat into a nice loaf shape and place it on a rimmed baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper or non-stick aluminum foil. When the meatloaf is fully baked and a thermometer inserted into the center registers 165 degrees, let the meatloaf rest for about ten minutes. Keeping the meatloaf covered while baking ensures more even baking and it will not dry out. Cook uncovered for the last 5 minutes so the top gets a nice golden color.
- Spinach – if using frozen spinach, be sure to squeeze out as much water as possible. I prefer fresh spinach as the chopped pieces remain more in tact in the meatloaf when you mix and bake it.
- Feta – leave the pieces of crumbled feta chunky as they will crumble more when you mix everything together. Larges pieces are nice to bite into when you eat the meatloaf.
FAQs Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf
Reheat sliced meatloaf in the microwave in 30 second intervals, add a splash of water on top to keep it moist. Preheat your oven to 250ºF. Place the leftover meatloaf slices in a shallow baking dish and sprinkle each piece with 1 tablespoon of water. Cover the dish with foil. Place it in the center of the oven and cook for 20-25 minutes. Reheat sliced meatloaf in a pan stove top on medium heat with a splash of water until warmed through.
Store in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator (check the best before date of each ingredient and adjust accordingly).
Prepare the meatloaf mixture and shape into the loaf pan 1 day in advance. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to bake. Allow it to come to room temperature before baking and follow baking instructions in recipe.
Freeze in an airtight freezer safe container or freezer bags, or wrap tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil or freezer wrap. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and follow reheating instructions above.
Yes this is a healthy meatloaf using ground turkey.
Omit the panko breadcrumbs and use a gluten free bread, soak in the milk and then crumble into mixture or use gluten free breadcrumbs of choice.
Use dairy free feta cheese and a dairy free milk.
More Greek Recipes!
Mediterranean Turkey Meatloaf
- Cooking spray
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup parsley, fresh, chopped
- 4 tbsp garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes, (i.e. chili flakes)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 egg, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 3 tbsp milk
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup fresh spinach, fresh chopped, if using frozen be sure to squeeze out any liquid
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Tzatziki Sauce, for serving
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Spray a 9" x 5" loaf pan with cooking spray.
- To a large bowl add all of the meatloaf ingredients (ground turkey, panko breadcrumbs, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, eggs, milk, feta, spinach, oregano, salt, and pepper).
- Gently mix until just combined, be careful not to overwork the meat.
- Carefully transfer the meat mixture into the prepared pan. Gently press the mixture down into the pan to release air. Cover with foil and bake for 40 mins.
- Uncover and continue cooking until the internal temperature registers 165°F on a meat thermometer, about 5 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice into pieces. Optional: serve with tzatziki sauce. Serve and enjoy!
Thursday 2nd of March 2023
This meatloaf was packed with so much flavor! Super easy to make and a hit with my family. Always looking for recipes using ground turkey and this one was a hit!