Yellow Rice is the perfect flavorful and colorful side dish for your next dinner! Seasoned with garlic, turmeric, paprika and more, it is a must try.
Yellow Rice Recipe
Yellow Rice is the perfect accompaniment for just about any meal! My favorite thing about this recipe is that it cooks perfectly in a rice cooker or stove top! I’m always on the lookout for ways to make a quick dinner or side so this is the perfect rice cooker recipe.
Simply add all the ingredients to your rice cooker and have no stress fluffy rice. The rice is flavor packed with spices and herbs creating the ultimate side dish. The secret to a bright yellow rice is turmeric!
I like to serve this rice with my Pork Souvlaki and Tzatziki Sauce for a delicious Greek dinner. Not only is it a delicious dinner it is a beautiful colorful plate. Mediterranean cuisine is just simply delicious!
This yellow rice recipe is one of my family’s favorite side dishes. It is super easy and it goes with almost anything! You can keep it plain or spice it up to go with different meals. My family loves this light and fluffy side dish and you will too!
What is in Yellow Rice?
- The secret to yellow rice is turmeric! Not only does it add a beautiful color and flavor it has amazing health benefits including it is an anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant. I like sneaking turmeric into any dish where I can.
- Basmati rice (or long grain rice of choice) is my preferred rice for this yellow rice. It makes the perfect light and fluffy rice that soaks up all the amazing flavors.
- The spice blend of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and parsley adds just the right amount of flavor to this rice making it a great side dish or accompaniment to your dinner that is not overpowering.
- Rather than using just water to cook the rice, chicken broth infuses additional flavor to this dish. Try using bone broth for added health benefits!
How to Make Yellow Rice
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
Wash and drain rice 2-3 times or until the water runs almost clear.
Rice Cooker Cooking Method
- Add washed and drained rice to rice cooker with 2 1/4 cups chicken broth and all remaining ingredients.
- Stir together until evenly combined.
- Cook according to your rice cooker instructions.
Stove Top Cooking Method
- On medium heat in a medium sized sauce pot add the olive oil and rice.
- Sauté over medium heat until it starts to toast lightly.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups chicken broth and all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Do not remove the lid of the pot, allow the rice to steam for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid and use a fork or rice paddle to fluff the rice.
Serve and enjoy!
Rice Flavor Variations
The possibilities for this rice recipe are endless! Mix and match any of these to create the perfect easy yellow rice side dish for your next family meal.
- Adding frozen peas or carrots to the rice while cooking is an easy way to add color, texture and added nutrients.
- Make this dish Cajun style by adding diced onion, red and/or green bell pepper and diced jalapeno while sautéing the rice. Sprinkle with Cajun seasoning before adding the chicken broth. After the rice is finished cooking you can stir in grilled smoked sausage, shrimp or chicken. Red or black beans make the meal even more hearty and delicious.
- For a more Indian flair, add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, four cardamom pods and a handful of golden raisins before bringing to boil. So yummy!
- Add this dish to your Mexican feast by adding jalapeno and diced onion to the rice while sautéing and sprinkle with a little cumin before adding the broth.
The Ultimate Greek Dinner
Pair this recipe with 3 more of my favorite Greek dishes for the ultimate Greek feast!
- Pork Souvlaki – my favorite BBQ skewers! Flavor packed pork marinated with lemon, garlic and aromatic spices. The meat is tender, moist and perfect served in a wrap or on a plate.
- Garlic Lemon Roasted Potatoes – roasted in garlic lemon broth are the ultimate creamy crispy side dish. Serve with grilled chicken and a Greek salad for a restaurant quality homemade meal!
- Tzatziki Sauce – one of the most simple and delicious sauces! Tangy greek yogurt seasoned with dill, garlic, lemon and packed with fresh shredded cucumber.
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
- 2 cups basmati rice, or long grain rice of choice
- 2 1/4 cups chicken broth, plus 1/4 cup if cooking stove top
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp parsley, fresh or dried
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- Wash and drain rice 2-3 times or until the water runs almost clear.
- Rice Cooker Cooking MethodAdd washed and drained rice to rice cooker with 2 1/4 cups chicken broth and all remaining ingredients. Stir together until evenly combined. Cook according to your rice cooker instructions.
- Stove Top Cooking MethodOn medium heat in a medium sized sauce pot add the olive oil and rice.Sauté over medium heat until it starts to toast lightly. Stir in 2 1/2 cups chicken broth and all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil.Once boiling, lower the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.Remove from the heat and set aside. Do not remove the lid of the pot, allow the rice to steam for 15 minutes with the lid on.Remove the lid and use a fork or rice paddle to fluff the rice.
- Serve and enjoy!