Spanish Chorizo Chickpea Stew is a hearty and delicious meal. A smokey spiced tomato sauce is packed with chorizo sausage and chickpeas. This recipe screams comfort in a bowl!
Chorizo Chickpea Stew Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
If you love stew, soups and chilis, then this chorizo chickpea stew is perfect for you! A rich and smokey tomato based stew packed with a bit of heat from Spanish chorizo. This is a quick weeknight dinner and a unique twist on classic stews and chilis.
What is Chorizo Chickpea Stew?
This chorizo chickpea stew is one of the most famous stews from Spain. This stew is traditionally served for lunch but it can also be served for dinner. Pair with a salad and a crusty bread to dip!
The star of the show in this stew is the smokey and spicy Spanish chorizo which is a cured pork sausage that is packed with flavor and spice. Chickpeas are a hearty and delicious addition to the stew. The chorizo and chickpeas are stewed in a flavor packed tomato sauce that is seasoned with garlic, onion, smoked paprika, oregano and chili powder.
What to Serve with Chorizo Chickpea Stew
- Jalapeno Popper Pull Apart Garlic Bread
- Olive Garden Salad Copycat
- Olive Garden Breadsticks Copycat
- Cheddar Corn Bread
- Kale Apple Salad
- Jalapeno Popper Pinwheels
What is in Chorizo Chickpea Stew?
- Chorizo – a Spanish cured pork sausage. It is flavor packed and a bit spicy. If you cannot find Spanish or Portuguese chorizo (which is cured or smoked) you can use Mexican chorizo which is raw. You will need to remove the casing and then pan fry the sausage and break it up into bite sized pieces
- Chickpeas – these beans are tiny but mighty! They are packed with flavor and nutrients.
- Crushed Tomatoes – canned crushed tomatoes are the base of the stew. You can use garden fresh tomatoes that are cooked down or homemade canned tomatoes.
- Garlic, Onion – sautéd into the sauce.
- Jalapeno – this is not a traditional ingredient in this Spanish dish but I like to add an extra kick of spice and flavor with jalapeno.
- Chicken Broth or Vegetable Broth – homemade or store bought works great. There are many varieties of plant based chorizo so to make this recipe vegetarian or vegan use vegetable broth and plant based chorizo.
- Chili Powder
- Smoked Paprika
- Bay Leaf
- Salt, Pepper
How to Make Chorizo Chickpea Stew
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
1 In a large frying pan or small pot on medium high heat, add the olive oil and sliced chorizo. Sauté the chorizo for 5-6 minutes or until nicely browned.
2 Add in the onion, garlic, jalapeno, oregano, paprika, chili powder and bay leaf. Sauté for 2-3 minute or until the onion is tender.
3 Add the crushed tomato, chickpeas, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Stir until evenly combined.
4 Bring to a simmer then lower the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 12-15 minutes uncovered, stirring often, or until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
5 Remove the bay leaf.
6 Serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Chorizo Chickpea Stew
- Serve with crusty bread for dipping for a quick and easy meal.
- Optional Add-ins: For a heartier stew, try adding in more vegetables, such as diced bell peppers, corn or even zucchini is delicious. You can also add in a variety of beans and/or substitute the chickpeas with your favorite.
- Some chorizo can be on the spicey side. Feel free to use any type of mild or sweet smoked sausage in this recipe.
FAQs Chorizo Chickpea Stew
Reheat stove top or in microwave until warmed through.
The stew can be stored in an airtight container, in the fridge up to 5 days and frozen for up to 3 months. Be sure to cool completely first and portion into airtight containers.
Yes! This is a great meal prep recipe and as a bonus, the flavors will get even stronger overnight!
If freezing, be sure to follow the instructions on storage. Let thaw in the fridge overnight and then reheat stovetop or in the microwave.
Yes, this is a light, high protein recipe. For added nutrients load it up with more vegetables and sub with turkey sausage.
To make vegetarian, use a plant-based sausage. Substitute with vegetable broth.
To make vegan, use a plant-based sausage. Substitute with vegetable broth.
This recipe is gluten free (be sure to check sausage ingredients to ensure the brand you are using is gluten free or ask your butcher).
This recipe is dairy free.
More Easy Soup Recipes You Will Love!
- White Chicken Chili
- Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Copycat
- Mom’s Best Chili Recipe
- Black Bean Soup
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
- Butternut Squash Chili (Crock Pot)
Chorizo Chickpea Stew (Spanish)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chorizo, 2 smoked sausage, thinly sliced (see notes below)
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 large jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp smoked paprika, or paprika
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 oz canned crushed tomato
- 14 oz canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
- In a large frying pan or small pot on medium high heat, add the olive oil and sliced chorizo. Sauté the chorizo for 5-6 minutes or until nicely browned.
- Add in the onion, garlic, jalapeno, oregano, paprika, chili powder and bay leaf. Sauté for 2-3 minute or until the onion is tender.
- Add the crushed tomato, chickpeas, chicken stock, salt and pepper. Stir until evenly combined.
- Bring to a simmer then lower the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for 12-15 minutes uncovered, stirring often, or until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve and enjoy!