Italian Sliders are the best and easiest way to make subs for a crowd. Mini hot Italian style sandwich that are just as cute as they are delicious!
Italian Sliders Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
If you love a hot Italian sandwich or sub as much as we do then you are in for a real treat! These sliders are the perfect quick and easy way to make 12 Italian sandwiches in a flash.
Sliders have quickly become one of our favorite recipes for entertaining, as well as our readers favorite! There are endless variations of sliders – Big Mac Sliders, BBQ Chicken Sliders, Breakfast Sliders and even Dessert S’mores Sliders.
What are Italian Sliders?
Italian Sliders are mini versions of a classic Italian sandwich, submarine or hoagie. Slider buns are piled high with a variety of deli meats including turkey, ham, chicken, salami, and pepperoni. Provolone cheese is the perfect ooey-gooey cheese for these sliders.
The sliders also have roasted red peppers and sliced pepperoncini peppers for added flavor and a bit of spice! As if that wasn’t enough… the slider buns are brushed with an Italian seasoned garlic butter and baked until lightly toasted. These are the ultimate Italian sliders!
What to Serve with Italian Sliders
- Olive Garden Salad Copycat Recipe
- Zuppa Toscana (Olive Garden Copycat)
- Chicken Gnocchi Soup (Olive Garden Copycat)
- Dill Pickle Chopped Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Watermelon Salad
- Peach Caprese Salad
What is in Italian Sliders?
- Deli Meats – these sliders are customizable and can use any combination of deli meats you like. We love the combination of turkey, salami, ham, chicken, and pepperoni.
- Slider Buns – we love to use Hawaiian Sweet rolls as they have a sweet and savory flavor. You can also use brioche slider buns, dinner rolls or any other small roll (store-bought or homemade)
- Cheese – the sliders get baked in the oven so you want to choose a cheese that’s nice and ooey-gooey when melted! We love provolone, Swiss, Havarti, or mozzarella. You can use any cheese you like and if you want a bit of spice try using a spicy Havarti or jalapeno Monterrey jack.
- Roasted Red Peppers – these add a great flavor to the sandwiches and also a pop of color. You can also add fresh sliced bell peppers, olives, sliced red onions, and any of your favorite sandwich toppings.
- Pepperoncini Peppers – these pickled peppers add a bit of heat and a great flavor to the sandwiches. They are not overly spicy so you don’t need to worry about them being too spicy.
- Garlic Butter Topping
- Garlic Powder – we recommend powder over fresh garlic so that the pieces of garlic do not get overcooked or burnt when the buns are being toasted.
- Parmesan Cheese
- Spices – Italian seasoning or a combination of dried basil, oregano and parsley can be used.
How to Make Italian Sliders
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
2 Slice slider buns in half. Place bottom of buns in a baking dish or parchment lined sheet pan.
3 Layer deli ham, deli turkey, salami, pepperoni, deli chicken and provolone cheese over the top.
4 Distribute the 1/2 cup roasted red peppers and 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers over top.
5 In small bowl whisk together melted butter, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and parmesan cheese.
6 Place the other half of slider buns in top.
7 Brush the top of buns with butter mixture.
8 Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
9 Remove from oven. Serve with Marinara sauce for dipping and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Italian Sliders
- Slider Buns – if you can find King’s Sweet Hawaiian rolls or brioche style slider buns I recommend using those. The sweetness of the rolls pairs perfectly with the savory filling and garlic butter topping. You can also use dinner rolls or regular slider buns.
- Deli Meats – this recipe is versatile and you can use any combination of deli meats. We like to use turkey, chicken, ham, salami, and pepperoni. You can use any deli meats that are on sale for the week or just your favorites. If you make your own deli meats, such as roast beef or corned beef, you can include those as well.
- Customizable – the flavor combinations and topping for these Italian sliders are endless. You can use any classic sandwich or sub toppings you like such as pickles, olives, thinly sliced onion, cucumber, bell peppers, and more. Get creative and use your favorite toppings. This is also a great way to use up any leftovers you may have in the fridge, just throw them onto the sliders!
FAQs Italian Sliders
Reheat the sliders in the oven at 350°F on a sheet pan or baking dish covered with foil for about 5-8 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the top buns are toasted.
Store the cooled sliders in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days (be sure to check the best before date of your cheese and adjust accordingly). The sliders can be stacked in the container, you can also put a piece of parchment paper or plastic wrap between the layers to prevent the bread from sticking together.
Yes! Italian sliders are perfect for make ahead. Follow the recipe as per usual to assemble the sliders up to 2 days in advance but do not brush the butter on the buns. Store covered in the fridge. Just before serving remove the sliders from the fridge, brush with melted butter. Bake covered with foil at 350°F for 5 – 8 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 2-3 minutes or until the top buns are toasted and the meat is warmed through.
For a gluten free recipe use gluten free sliders bun and be sure to check the ingredients of the deli meat used to ensure it is gluten free.
Follow the recipe as usual and use dairy free slider buns and cheese.
More Sliders You Will Love
- Filet-o-Fish Sliders
- Big Mac Sliders
- BBQ Chicken Sliders
- Roast Beef Sliders
- Pull Apart Meatball Sliders
- S’mores Sliders
- Breakfast Sliders
- 12 slider buns, Hawaiian sweet rolls, dinner rolls, or brioche slider buns
- 1/4 lb deli ham, sliced
- 1/4 lb deli chicken, sliced
- 1/4 lb deli turkey, sliced
- 1/4 lb salami, sliced
- 1/4 lb pepperoni, large rounds, or hot salami
- 6 slices provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers, or banana peppers, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- Marinara sauce for dipping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Slice 12 slider buns in half. Place bottom of buns in a baking dish or parchment lined sheet pan.
- Layer 1/4 lb deli ham, 1/4 lb deli turkey, 1/4 lb salami, 1/4 lb pepperoni, 1/4 lb deli chicken and 6 slices provolone cheese over the top.
- Distribute the 1/2 cup roasted red peppers and 1/2 cup pepperoncini peppers over top.
- In small bowl whisk together melted 1/4 cup butter, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp Italian seasoning, and 2 tbsp parmesan cheese.
- Place the other half of slider buns in top.
- Brush the top of buns with butter mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Serve with Marinara sauce for dipping and enjoy!