Monster Rice Krispie Treats are one of the easiest Halloween treats! These cute and creepy treats are a fan favorite for school snacks and Halloween parties.
Monster Rice Krispie Treats Recipe
If you are looking for the easiest, low prep Halloween treat you are in the right place. I just love how cute and easy these monster treats are! They are colorful, fun and most importantly… delicious.
What are Monster Rice Krispie Treats?
Monster rice krispie treats are a cute and creepy twist on the classic rice krispie square. They are so easy to make and fun to decorate with the kids! This simple recipe is only 4 ingredients – rice krispie treats, white chocolate, food coloring and candy eyes.
The fun part about this treat is that you can get creative with each and every monster using different sized eyes and a different number of eyes on each! You can also create as many different color monsters as you like.
More Halloween Treats
What is in Monster Rice Krispie Treats?
- Rice Krispie Treats – for the quickest recipe I love grabbing a box of rice krispie treats from the store and using them for this recipe. You can of course make your own homemade rice krispie treats instead.
- White Chocolate – to create the monster faces the rice krispie treats are dipped in melted white chocolate. You can also use colored candy melts instead.
- Food Coloring – I like to make blue, green and red monsters but you can use any color combination you like.
- Candy Eyes – if you can find a variety pack of candy eyes with different sizes those are really fun for the recipe.
How to Make Monster Rice Krispie Treats
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
1 Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2 Divide the white chocolate into 3 small microwave safe bowls by adding 1/4 cup into each bowl.
3 Microwave each bowl in 10 second intervals, stirring after each, until fully melted.
4 Make one bowl red, add 3 drops of red food coloring. Stir until evenly combined.
5 Make one bowl blue, add 3 drops of blue food coloring. Stir until combined.
6 Make one bowl green, add 1 drop of green food coloring. Stir until combined.
7 Working quickly, dip the top of each rice crispy treat in the bowl of colored chocolate. Transfer to the parchment paper lined sheet pan and add as many candy eyes as you would like.
8 Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature for about 20 – 30 minutes, or place in the fridge for 10 minutes to quickly harden the chocolate.
9 Carefully remove from the parchment paper, transfer to a serving platter and enjoy!.
Tips for the Best Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate – for the best results after dipping the rice krispie treats in the colored chocolate place them on a piece of parchment paper and then add the candy eyes on top. Be sure to let the chocolate harden before trying to move them or else the candy eyes will slide off. As the chocolate hardens on the parchment paper it will peel right off, rather than placing them directly on a plate or cutting board.
- Food Coloring – you can get creative and use any color for the monsters. You can even dip the monsters in two different colors.
- Candy Eyes – I like using a variety of different sized candy eyes. They make the monsters look extra cute and creepy.
FAQs Monster Rice Krispie Treats
Store the treats in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days. To avoid the chocolate melting and the candy eyes sliding off you can store them in the fridge and let them sit at room temperature for about 5 minutes before serving.
Yes! This recipe is perfect to make ahead of time for school snacks, Halloween parties and movie nights. You can even make them ahead and package them in individual Ziploc bags or plastic wrap to give out as treats. Make them up to 2-3 days in advance.
I would not recommend freezing the treats. The texture of the rice krispie treat changes when they are frozen and thawed.
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 crispy rice treats, store bought or homemade (i.e. rice crispy treats)
- 3/4 cup white chocolate, divided into 1/4 cup portions
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Green food coloring
- Candy eyes, at least 16 for 2 per monster, or more
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Divide the white chocolate into 3 small microwave safe bowls by adding 1/4 cup into each bowl.
- Microwave each bowl in 10 second intervals, stirring after each, until fully melted.
- Make one bowl red, add 3 drops of red food coloring. Stir until evenly combined.
- Make one bowl blue, add 3 drops of blue food coloring. Stir until combined.
- Make one bowl green, add 1 drop of green food coloring. Stir until combined.
- Working quickly, dip the top of each rice crispy treat in the bowl of colored chocolate. Transfer to the parchment paper lined sheet pan and add as many candy eyes as you would like.
- Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature for about 20 – 30 minutes, or place in the fridge for 10 minutes to quickly harden the chocolate.
- Carefully remove from the parchment paper, transfer to a serving platter and enjoy!