This tropical mango salsa salmon recipe features tender air fried lime salmon, a tangy mango salsa and creamy coconut rice! A perfect quick and healthy meal.
Mango Salsa Salmon Recipe
Salmon is a versatile protein to cook with that takes almost no time to cook! When I need a quick weeknight dinner I love this mango salsa salmon recipe. While the rice is cooking you prepare the salmon and the salsa comes together in a flash.
What is Mango Salsa Salmon?
This dish pairs tangy lime marinated salmon with a sweet mango salsa. The simple salmon rub makes this recipe so flavorful! I love the combination of citrus and salmon… a bit of tang with the salmons natural sweetness is a perfect match for me.
The first time I made lime air fried salmon, I imagined pairing it with something that would give it a bit of a fresh tropical vibe. In comes my sweet mango salsa. Not only is this colorful salsa packed with flavor, it complements the salmon perfectly!
What is Coconut Rice?
Coconut rice is a unique way to prepare rice that adds a tropical flare! To make coconut rice instead of just cooking the rice in water, it is cooked in a combination of coconut water and coconut milk. The coconut milk makes the rice creamy and oh so delicious!
This rice pairs perfectly with the lime marinated salmon and the sweet mango salsa! You can enjoy a taste of the tropics any day of the year with this easy homemade and healthy meal.
Why Cook Salmon in an Air Fryer?
Believe me when I tell you air fried salmon is the most succulent salmon! It is the quickest, failproof method for cooking tender and moist salmon! It perfectly sears the edges but leaves a flaky, tender center.
It’s also so easy to just pop salmon in an Air Fryer, set the timer and forget it. This cooking method is “hands off”. Meaning you can prepare the rest of your meal without worrying about flipping the salmon or splattering oil all over your oven. Not to mention air frying is healthier than shallow pan frying the fish.
What is in Mango Salsa Salmon?
Air Fried Lime Salmon Ingredients
- Salmon – fresh or frozen (thawed before cooking) salmon fillets can be used for this recipe. I prefer skin off but you can use skin on.
- Lime Juice – adds a tropical pop of freshness to the salmon
- Olive Oil – helps the salmon get a crispy exterior
- Garlic Powder, Paprika, Cumin, Salt & Pepper – the spice blend compliments the lime juice and creates a warm, slightly smoky tropical flavor that pairs perfectly with the mango salsa.
Mango Salsa Ingredients
- Mango – pairs perfectly with the natural sweetness of salmon
- Red Pepper – adds a pop of color and crunch
- Lime Juice – to cut the sweetness of the mango, a squeeze of lime juice is added
- Coconut Water – to tie the salsa with the coconut rice, a splash of coconut water is added into the salsa (optional)
- Cilantro or Parsley – the finely chopped herb adds a beautiful color and freshness to the salsa
- Red Onion – I personally love raw red onion and it adds a great flavor to this salsa. You can omit the onions or soak them in water first if you are not a huge fan of onions.
Coconut Rice Ingredients
- Rice – my favorite rice to cook with is jasmine rice. It has a beautiful aroma and is so light and fluffy.
- Coconut Milk – gives the rice a rich and creamy texture
- Coconut Water – instead of cooking the rice in water, it is cooked in coconut water which enhances the coconut flavor
- Salt – a pinch of salt brings out the rich flavor of the coconut milk and water
More Salmon Recipes You Will Love
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Salmon and Veggies – one of the easiest and most delicious 20 minute one pan meals! Tender salmon baked in sweet and tangy teriyaki sauce. Baked in a sheet pan with cauliflower, broccoli and red peppers for a quick dinner.
- Spicy Salmon Egg Rolls – a great way to enjoy all the flavors of sushi without the stress of actually making sushi! They are so simple and delicious.
How to Make Mango Salmon Salsa
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
Prepare the Mango Salsa
1 In a medium bowl stir together the mango, red pepper, cilantro or parsley, red onion, lime juice, and coconut water. Mix until evenly combined. Cover and set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
Prepare the Coconut Rice
1 In a medium saucepan combine the coconut water, coconut milk, rice and salt. Stir until evenly combined. Bring to a boil on medium heat.
2 Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed, about 15-20 minutes. Gently fluff with a fork. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
Prepare the Salmon
1 While the rice is cooking, preheat air fryer to 400°F or oven to 375°F.
2 In a small bowl combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture on all sides of the salmon.
3 Cook the salmon:
AIR FRYER COOKING METHOD
Place the salmon in the air fryer and cook for for 7-9 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon. Please note time may vary between air fryers. Once the salmon is cooked to desired doneness remove from the air fryer.
OVEN COOKING METHOD
Place the salmon on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, depending on the thickness of salmon. Once the salmon is cooked to desired doneness remove from oven and serve.
Note: to check for doneness, insert a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the salmon. Internal temperature will read 145°F when cooked through.
4 To serve, add rice to a plate or bowl. Top with the salmon and mango salsa. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley and lime wedges. Enjoy!
FAQs Mango Salsa Salmon
Yes! To use frozen salmon fillets in this recipe, allow the fillets to thaw in the fridge overnight. Once fully thawed pat the salmon dry with a paper towel before seasoning and cooking.
Yes, salmon contains heart healthy Omega-3 fatty acids. Salmon is also high in protein, low in saturated fats and low in calories making it a great addition to a healthy diet and lifestyle.
Salmon cooks quickly in the air fryer. A 6 ounce salmon fillet only requires to be cooked for 7-9 minutes on 400°F (note: cooking time may vary depending on your air fryer and the the thickness of your salmon, internal temperature will read 145°F at thickest piece of salmon when cooked through)
Yes, salmon reheats well making it a great option for meal prep. Simply prepare the recipe as normal and allow the salmon to cool. Transfer to an air tight container and store in the fridge for 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave with a splash of water to keep it moist.
Coconut milk has a similar liquid consistency of cow’s milk whereas coconut cream is much thicker and richer.
Looking for More Quick Healthy Dinners?
- Sweet and Sour Pork – made healthier and even tastier then takeout! Crispy and tender pork stir fried with peppers, onions and pineapple in an irresistible tangy sauce.
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers – all the great flavors of a classic Philly cheesesteak sandwich without the bread! They are a great make ahead family meal.
- Chicken Milanese – a simple delicious dinner the whole family will love. Crispy seasoned chicken cutlets served with a lemony arugula salad topped with parmesan shavings!
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Mango Salsa Salmon
- Air Fryer or Oven
- 6 salmon fillets, skinless
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika, sweet or smoked
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, or to taste
- 3 mangoes, large, peeled and diced
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped, or parsley
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped (optional, rinsed under water and drained)
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp coconut water, optional
- 1 1/2 cups coconut water, or water
- 1 1/4 cups canned coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed well and drained
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh cilantro or parsley
- Lime, wedges or slices
Prepare the Mango Salsa
- In a medium bowl stir together the mango, red pepper, cilantro or parsley, red onion, lime juice, and coconut water (optional). Mix until evenly combined. Cover and set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
Prepare the Coconut Rice
- In a medium saucepan combine the coconut water, coconut milk, rice and salt. Stir until evenly combined. Bring to a boil on medium heat.
- Once boiling, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until all liquid has been absorbed, about 15-20 minutes. Gently fluff with a fork. Cover and let rest 5 minutes.
Prepare the Salmon
- While the rice is cooking, preheat air fryer to 400°F or oven to 375°F.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Rub the mixture on all sides of the salmon.
- AIR FRYER COOKING METHOD Place the salmon in the Air Fryer and cook for for 7-9 minutes, depending on the thickness of the salmon. Please note time may vary between air fryers. Once the salmon is cooked to desired doneness remove from the air fryer. OVEN COOKING METHODPlace the salmon on a sheet pan or tray lined with parchment paper, or grease a baking dish. Bake for 10-15 minutes, depending on the thickness of salmon. Once the salmon is cooked to desired doneness remove from oven and serve.Note: to check for doneness, insert a meat thermometer in the thickest part of the salmon. Internal temperature will read 145°F when cooked through.
- To serve, add rice to a plate or bowl. Top with the salmon and mango salsa. Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro or parsley and lime wedges. Enjoy!