Doritos Crusted Taco Casserole is a perfect mix of seasoned ground beef, pasta, corn and beans. All topped with cheesy crunchy Doritos. The best part is that it is all made in one pan. It’s simple, easy and ready in 30 minutes!
Doritos Crusted Taco Casserole Recipe
If you love one pan meals as much as I do, I have a delicious recipe for you! This One Pan Taco Casserole has the perfect blend of spices and cheesy pasta goodness. It’s one dish that I know your whole family is going to love and request over and over!
With lots of cheesy goodness and taco seasoning, this recipe creates a warm and comforting meal that your whole family is sure to enjoy.
One Pan Taco Casserole Recipe
This simple budget friendly meal is a dinner the whole family will love! Loaded with taco flavor but you don’t need to worry about everyone making their own tacos. Instead this casserole version of a Taco Tuesday dinner is a one pan meal made in 30 minutes!
Change up your next taco Tuesday dinner or Friday movie night dinner with this fun taco casserole. Get creative and use a different flavor of Doritos on top of the casserole! You can even transfer the casserole into individual ramekins and bake for personal sized casseroles. How cute and fun!
If you are looking for even more options to change up your Taco Tuesday Dinners try some of my favorite unique tacos – Fish Tacos with a Cabbage Slaw, Pork Carnitas Tacos, Sweet Chili Chicken Wonton Tacos, Mexican Street Corn Chicken Tacos – can you tell we LOVE tacos?!
What is in this Doritos Crusted Taco Casserole?
- Ground Beef – my favorite way to make this casserole is with ground beef to replicate the flavor of a classic beef taco. However, for a healthier version you can also use ground turkey or chicken and it is AMAZING!
- Taco Seasoning – did you know it is really easy to make taco seasoning at home? Store bought taco seasoning is often over processed with salt and other additives. I have included a homemade taco seasoning blend in this recipe for you to try out!
- Macaroni – my family just happens to love macaroni so we make our taco casserole a mac casserole! You can use any pasta you have on hand or your families favorite variety… even gluten free works great!
- Shredded Cheese – I highly recommend shredding your own cheese instead of using store bought. Pre-shredded store bought cheese is coated in stabilizer to keep the cheese from sticking together. I shred my own blend of cheddar and mozzarella. For an extra kick of spice try using a spicy Havarti with jalapenos or pimento cheese.
- Canned Tomatoes with Chilies (Rotel) – these are a secret weapon in the kitchen! These flavor packed tomatoes are mixed with chilies for a Mexican spiced canned tomato rather than regular tomatoes you would use for pasta sauce.
- Corn, Beans, Onions, Garlic – the addition of corn and beans makes this a more substantial meal than just regular tacos with toppings. You can omit or swap them for other veggies if you do not like corn or beans but I love the combo in this dish
- Doritos – the extra crunchy and cheesy topping of this casserole is a mix of crushed Doritos and more shredded cheese! I use regular cheese flavored Doritos. Get creative and use your favorite flavor – ranch, sweet chili, spicy, etc.!
How to Make Doritos Crusted Taco Casserole
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
Check out my short video tutorial here
1 In a large oven safe skillet, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
2 Add oil to the pan and sauté the ground beef until cooked through, about 5-10 minutes. Strain the oil released during cooking.
3 Add in the onion, jalapeno, garlic, taco seasoning and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
4 Add the diced tomatoes, cheese, corn and black beans. Stir until evenly combined.
5 Top with ½ cup of shredded cheese. Crushed Doritos and the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese.
6 Bake in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
Optional: Broil for 2-3 minutes to get the cheese topping extra crispy!
Serve and enjoy!
The filling is customizable in this casserole, you can mix in any of the below vegetabless:
- Red Pepper – diced into small squares
- Zucchini – sliced into half moons for a cute and fun shape!
- Carrot – diced into small squares, or shredded on a cheese grater! So much quicker and easier than dicing carrots
- Broccoli or Cauliflower – chop the stems into small squares and breakup the florets into small bite sized pieces
Looking for More Easy One Pan Meal?
Try some of my families favorite recipes:
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Salmon – once you try a sheet pan meal you will be hooked on this easy cooking method. Try this easy and delicious salmon dinner!
- Chicken Marsala – golden pan-fried chicken cutlets and mushrooms in a rich Creamy Marsala wine sauce
- Sweet and Sticky Short Ribs – tender fall off the bone ribs that only requires 30 minutes of simmering
- Butter Chicken – one of my all time favorite meals! The chicken is incredibly tender and packed with flavor from my yogurt marinade
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Doritos Crusted Taco Casserole
- 2 cups macaroni , uncooked, or dried pasta of choice
- 1 tbsp oil, cooking
- 1 ½ – 2 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning, or ½ tsp each cumin, salt, smoked paprika, chili powder, paprika and 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 cans diced tomatoes with chiles, 10 oz (ex. Rotel)
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup cheese shredded, mozzarella, marble, cheddar, or blend of choice
- 2 cups Doritos chips, crushed
- In a large oven safe skillet, cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Add oil to the pan and sauté the ground beef until cooked through, about 5-10 minutes. Strain the oil released during cooking.
- Add in the onion, jalapeno, garlic, taco seasoning and cook until the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, cheese, corn and black beans. Stir until evenly combined.
- Top with ½ cup of shredded cheese. Crushed Doritos and the remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese melts.
- Optional: Broil for 2-3 minutes to get the cheese topping extra crispy!
- Serve and enjoy!