Chipotle Black Beans are the perfect addition to a burrito bowl or a side for your taco night! Tender beans simmered in a spiced sauce with onions and garlic.
Chipotle Black Beans Copycat Recipe
We all know everyone either has a love or hate relationship with beans… but for me it’s an absolute LOVE relationship! I love all kinds of beans and when it comes to Mexican black beans, Chipotle Mexican Grill makes some of the best.
If you love Chipotle and their famous burritos and bowls then you are in for a treat! My homemade black beans taste even better than the restaurant and now you can make a budget friendly version at home.
Not only are Chipotle black beans delicious, they are also a healthy side dish. A perfect way to sneak in some extra nutrients into your next burrito or burrito bowl!
The beans are simmered in a flavor packed sauce with onions, garlic, lime juice and lots of spices. Even if you aren’t a fan of beans I’m sure you will love these Mexican black beans.
What to Serve with Chipotle Black Beans?
Serve these tasty beans as a side with:
What is in Chipotle Black Beans?
- Black Beans – to keep this recipe quick and easy I use store bought canned beans that have been drained and rinsed. You can also use dry black beans and cook them with your usual cooking method.
- Water – the canned beans are drained and rinsed so we add a bit of water to make a sauce for the beans to simmer in.
- Oil – to sauté the onions, garlic and spices
- Onion – you can use any variety of onion you have on hand. I personally like using white onion.
- Garlic – everything is better with garlic.
- Lime Juice and Lemon Juice – if you ever wondered why the citrus flavor of Chipotles food is so strong and delicious, it is because they combine both lemon and lime!
- Chili Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Smoked Paprika
- Bay Leaf
How to Make Chipotle Black Beans
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
1 Wash and drain the canned black beans.
2 In a medium sized frying pan or pot, on medium heat add the oil. Add the diced onion. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or until translucent.
3 Add the minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
4 Add the bay leaf, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and salt. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant
5 Add the drained and rinsed beans and 1 cup of water. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
6 Add the lime juice and lemon juice. Stir and season to taste with additional salt as desired. Serve and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Chipotle Black Beans
- Beans – using store bought canned beans is a great way to cut down on prep time for this recipe. Be sure to wash and drain the beans. The canning liquid is often overly salty and will overpour the side dish.
- Lemon and Lime Juice – using fresh lemon and lime juice will make the best black beans but in a pinch you can also use store bought bottled juice.
- Simmering Time – allow the beans to simmer for at least 15 minutes to thicken the sauce. You can simmer even longer for a darker broth and deeper flavor.
FAQs Chipotle Black Beans
Store the cooled beans in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
To reheat Chipotle black beans transfer to a microwave safe bowl and drizzle 2 tablespoons of water on top. Microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each, until warmed through. To reheat stove top, add the beans to a small frying pan or pot with 2 tablespoons of water. Bring to a simmer on medium heat and stir continuously until warmed through.
Yes! Transfer the cooled black beans to a freezer safe container or Ziploc bag. Freeze for up to 6 months. If freezing in a Ziploc bag, lay the bag flat in the freezer to safe space and thaw quicker. To reheat, thaw in the fridge overnight and reheat stove top in a pot or microwave in 15 second intervals.
Yes, black beans are perfect for making ahead of time as they last up to 5 days in the fridge and the flavor gets even better the next day!
Looking for Easy Side Dishes?
- Greek Chickpea Tuna Salad – a colorful mix of fresh vegetables, chickpeas, tuna and feta cheese! Paired with a Greek salad dressing this is a must try.
- Black Bean Soup – made in a flash with the help of an Instant Pot. A hearty and healthy dish loaded with classic Mexican flavors. This is a great addition to your Taco Tuesday dinners!
- Spanakorizo – a Greek spinach and rice dish with all the great flavors of spanakopita but much easier to make! Tender rice seasoned with dill, lemon, herbs and feta cheese.
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Chipotle Black Beans Copycat
- Cilantro, fresh chopped
- Lime wedges
- Wash and drain the canned black beans.
- In a medium sized frying pan or pot, on medium heat add the oil and diced onion. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or until translucent.
- Add the minced garlic. Sauté until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the bay leaf, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika and salt. Sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant
- Add the drained and rinsed beans and 1 cup of water. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 10-15 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the lime juice and lemon juice. Stir and season to taste with additional salt as desired. Serve and enjoy!