Chicken and Rice (Arroz con Pollo) is the perfect mix of chicken, rice, vegetables and spices cooked in a flavor packed tomato sauce. The dish cooks all in one pan making clean up a breeze! Top with sour cream and sliced avocados for an easy and delicious dinner!
Chicken and Rice (Arroz Con Pollo) Recipe
My favorite kind of dinner is something easy, delicious and nutritious. This one pan chicken and rice meets all those requirements. Flavor packed tender chicken cooked in a tomato broth with vegetables and rice. This dish comes together in a flash and dinner is on the table in 45 minutes!
There are many variations of chicken and rice (arroz con pollo), this is my one pan version that uses frozen mixed vegetables to cut down on prep time. Any recipe that cuts down on dishes is a win in my kitchen!
What is Arroz Con Pollo?
Arroz con Pollo dish is a traditional Spanish and Latin American recipe that is related to paella. In this dish, chicken, rice and vegetables are simmered in a flavorful tomato based broth that creates a delicious one pot meal.
What is in Chicken and Rice?
This is a great weeknight recipe as it only requires a handful of pantry staple ingredients.
- Rice – long grain rice is used in this recipe for the best cooking results. Always rinse your rice before cooking to remove excess starch
- Chicken – in this version of chicken and rice I use boneless skinless chicken breast cut into cubes. You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Mixed Vegetables – frozen mixed vegetables not only cut down on prep time but also do not get overcooked or mushy when cooked in this dish. If using fresh vegetables you will need to add them in separately or they may over cook while the rice cooks
How to Make Chicken and Rice
With only using one pan this is a super quick weeknight dinner that can be on the table in 45 minutes!
Full Printable Recipe Below
Check my short video tutorial here
1 Season chicken with a pinch of salt, pepper and chili powder. In a large frying pan or dutch oven with a lid, sauté chicken until cooked halfway through in a small amount of oil.
2 Push chicken to one side of the pan. Add the rice, onion, garlic, jalapeno, oregano, cumin, and chili powder and sauté until the rice is translucent.
3 Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth and frozen mixed vegetables to the pan and stir until combined.
4 Cover and cook on medium heat for 20 – 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
Serve with sliced avocado and sour cream (or Greek yogurt for a lighter option)!
This chicken and rice is a complete meal all in one pan. However if you are looking for something to serve as a side with chicken and rice, here are a few suggestions:
- Warm tortillas
- A side salad
- Pico de Gallo
Looking for More Quick and Easy One Pan Meals?
- Sheet Pan Teriyaki Salmon and Vegetables – sweet and tangy teriyaki glazed salmon, baked in a sheet pan with cauliflower, broccoli and red peppers!
- Chicken Marsala – golden pan-fried chicken cutlets and mushrooms in a rich Creamy Marsala wine sauce
- Butter Chicken – one of my all time favorite meals! The chicken is incredibly tender and packed with flavor from my yogurt marinade
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Chicken and Rice (Arroz Con Pollo)
- 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed, approximately 1.5-2lb
- 1 cup long grain rice, rinsed
- 1 onion, pureed or finely minced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ½ jalapeno, finely minced, optional
- ¼ teaspoon oregano, dried
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 1.5 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- salt and pepper to taste
- oil, for cooking
- avocado, sliced
- sour cream, or Greek yogurt
- Season chicken with a pinch of salt, pepper and chili powder. In a large frying pan or dutch oven with a lid, sauté chicken until cooked halfway through in a small amount of oil.
- Push chicken to one side of the pan. Add the rice, onion, garlic, jalapeno, oregano, cumin, and chili powder and sauté until the rice is translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth and frozen mixed vegetables to the pan and stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for 20 – 30 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
- Serve with sliced avocado and sour cream. Enjoy!