Halloween Char-boo-terie Treat Board is a spooky twist on a classic snack board. A fun mix of cute and creepy treats for Halloween parties!
Halloween Char-Boo-Terie Snack Board Recipe
If you are looking for a fun snack spread for a Halloween party, movie night or school… you are in for a real treat! This Halloween treat board has a mix of all kinds of cute, creepy and spooky snacks.
The best part about this treat board is that you can choose how many of the components you would like to make from scratch, purchase from the store or pick up from a local bakery.
What is a Halloween Char-Boo-Terie Snack Board?
A char-boo-terie board is a twist on the classic charcuterie board. This Halloween snack board is a great way to serve a variety of treats at your Halloween party or school gathering. You can use a mix of homemade treats, store bought treats and Halloween candies.
What is in Halloween Char-Boo-Terie Snack Board?
- Candy – I like to use a mix of different types of Halloween candies. Candy pumpkins, chocolate covered pretzels, candy corn, Reese’s pieces, and more. You can use any candy you like!
- Spider Cookies – these spider cookies are a homemade treat using store bought cookie dough and frosting.
- Monster Rice Krispie Treats – colorful and cute with many eyes these rice krispie treats are so easy to make!
- Spider Web Brownies – spider web brownies are a fun addition to a treat board for chocolate lovers! They are so easy to make using store bought brownie mix and vanilla icing.
How to Make Halloween Char-Boo-Terie Snack Board
Full Printable Recipe at Bottom of Page
1 Using a large wood serving board, platter or sheet pan, arrange store bought or homemade Halloween treats on the board.
2 Use small bowls, cups or ramekins to serve the additional snacks in.
3 Decorate the board with Halloween themed toothpick decorations or small Halloween decorations, if desired, and enjoy!
Tips for the Best Halloween Char-Boo-Terie Snack Board
- Variety – the key to a great snack board is variety! You want a mix of flavors, sweet, sour, chocolatey, and more. You can customize the board to your personal liking but it is important to have a variety of treats so that all your guests can enjoy. If you are catering to a specific crowd, for example chocolate lovers, be sure to double up on the chocolate treats!
- Presentation – you eat with your eyes first so it is important to take a few extra minutes to plan out the layout of your snack board. Try to space out snacks that are the same color (ex. if you have two orange treats, put them on opposite corners of the board). You can also add non-edible decorations such as Halloween toothpicks with pumpkins and spiders.
- Make Ahead – if you would like to save time and plate the snack board ahead of time be sure to only plate items that don’t need to be refrigerated. Assemble the board with all of the non-refrigerated items and cover with plastic wrap. Just before serving add your chilled items and enjoy!
FAQs Halloween Char-Boo-Terie Snack Board
To store leftovers transfer them to air tight containers and store in the fridge or at room temperature based on the items. Be cautious not to stack items or they may get damaged.
Yes! This snack board is perfect for make ahead. You can purchase and make all of the components ahead of time. Start assembling the board with all of the non-refrigerated items. Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature. Just before serving remove the refrigerated items from the fridge and add to the board.
The best part about a char-boo-terie snack board is that it is 100% customizable. You can have all the snacks be nut free, gluten free, vegan, dairy free, low calorie, etc. to suit your needs. You can make the board as healthy as you like.
Disclosure: I only recommend products I would use myself and all opinions expressed here are my own. This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, may earn me a small commission.
Halloween Char-boo-terie Board
Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 crispy rice treats, store bought or homemade (i.e. rice crispy treats)
- 3/4 cup white chocolate, divided into 1/4 cup portions
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Green food coloring
- Candy eyes, at least 16 for 2 per monster, or more
Spider Web Brownies
- 1 box brownie mix, plus ingredients to prepare
- 1/2 tub vanilla icing, store bought
- 1 pack cookie dough, store bought or homemade
- 24 Whopper candies, or Maltesers or Reese’s mini cups or round chocolate of choice
- 1/2 tub chocolate icing, store bought
- 1/2 tub vanilla icing
- 48 small candy eyes
- Red food coloring
- Yellow food coloring
Additional Snacks (can be customized)
- 1 cup chocolate covered pretzels
- 1 cup pumpkin shaped candies
- 1 cup chocolate covered candies, orange and yellow (ex. M&Ms, Reese’s pieces)
- 1 cup candy corn
- Other Snack Ideas – popcorn, pretzel sticks, cookies, cupcakes
- 1 recipe Candy Corn Fudge
- 1 recipe Pumpkin Shaped Cinnamon Buns
Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Divide the white chocolate into 3 small microwave safe bowls by adding 1/4 cup into each bowl.
- Microwave each bowl in 10 second intervals, stirring after each, until fully melted.
- Make one bowl red, add 3 drops of red food coloring. Stir until evenly combined.
- Make one bowl blue, add 3 drops of blue food coloring. Stir until combined.
- Make one bowl green, add 1 drop of green food coloring. Stir until combined.
- Working quickly, dip the top of each rice crispy treat in the bowl of colored chocolate. Transfer to the parchment paper lined sheet pan and add as many candy eyes as you would like.
- Allow the chocolate to set at room temperature for about 20 – 30 minutes, or place in the fridge for 10 minutes to quickly harden the chocolate.
- Carefully remove from the parchment paper and serve.
Spider Web Brownies
- Prepare store bought brownie mix according to package directions in an 8”x8” or 9”x9” square baking dish. Allow the brownies to cool and then remove from the baking tray.
- Slice the brownies into 16 square pieces.
- Transfer the vanilla icing into a piping bag with a plain small round tip, or a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off (make a very small cut).
- Starting from the center of each brownie pipe a spiral around the brownie.
- From the center of each brownie, use a toothpick to drag the icing to the edges of the brownie.
- Line two sheet pans with parchment paper. Place the store bought cookies on the sheet pan and bake according to package directions.
- Transfer the cookies to a cooling rack and allow to completely cool.
- In a small bowl mix together the vanilla icing, 1 drop of red food coloring and 8 drops of yellow food coloring (or follow your food coloring package directions to make orange). Mix until evenly combined.
- Spread a thin layer of icing on top of each cooled cookie.
- Place one Whopper in the center or each cookie and gently press down to stick to the icing.
- Transfer the chocolate icing to a piping bag with a small plain round tip, or a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off (make a very small cut).
- Pipe two small dots of icing on the front of the Whopper and place two small candy eyes on.
- Pipe 4 legs on each side of the spiders’ body.
- Using a large wood serving board, platter or sheet pan, arrange store bought or homemade Halloween treats on the board.
- Use small bowls, cups or ramekins to serve the additional snacks in.
- Decorate the board with Halloween themed toothpick decorations or small Halloween decorations, if desired, and enjoy!